Thursday, October 9, 2008

First full day

Up at ten to six this morning, rolled out of bed, and I'm at the beach, and Haiti...sweet deal. Work day starts at 6AM here so all of the Haitian hired labor is here just before 6. Getting up so early is not a big deal at all, and I actually like it. We go to bed early (9:30PM), and I've always liked going to bed early and getting up early, so I'm liking the schedule.

The view from the back patio :).
I got a little tour of the mission here, met some of the workers and then Leslie made some delicious banana pancakes for breakfast :) (there are banana trees on the property). Afterward I headed off to start working on demolding some of the filters poured yesterday, taking the molds apart, greasing them up, reassembling, and then made new ones. That's the main thing I did over the course of the day, but I also had lunch and ran with Matt to the hardware store to load up 3 pieces of rebar and 66 bags of concrete.
Chris made us fresh papaya smoothies :).

Leslie made us fresh bagels with her bread maker :).

Matt is in yellow, and the other guys are painting filters and making new ones.

Me (the white one), vibrating the concrete in the mold using a rubber mallet.

The workday ends at 2:30PM, so from then until dinner I'm pretty much free to do what I please. I hung out for a bit on the back patio and rehydrated (it's quite hot here), and then Matt and I went for a swim. The water was extremely warm with a few cool spots, so it was still refreshing. I may even start swimming after work for some exercise :).

We had dinner and then watched an episode of MI5, which Chris described as a British version of the American show "24". No, we don't have a TV, which I'm happy about, but Chris is able to download movies off the internet, and we can all sit and watch them on Leslie's laptop for movie nights. Oh, I forgot to mention, there is a time difference between Haiti and Eastern Standard Time....well, only half of the year anyway. They don't do Daylight Savings Time, so while we flip back and forth in the US, they just stay the same all the time. So, right now, we're one hour earlier than E.S.T.

It's way passed my bedtime, so I'll leave you this one last picture which I thought was quite pretty.

The view from the back porch just before dinner.


Anonymous said...

From one beautiful sunset at dinner to another, beautiful. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

celine said...

glad you are blogging :)

unfortunately, if you have a computer, you do have access to TV (whether you like it or not)...TV is not so bad. sometimes staying connected to culture at home eases your transition back -- kinda helpful :) (, for free TV shows)

thanks o - calv enjoyed the beach shots -- he called it "my beach"

Anonymous said...

Hey Owen,

So glad you landed safe and sound. As is your style, you jumped right into things from the airport...doing errands, etc. The pictures are great! What a sunset!!!
Keep us posted...I'll be looking for your info.
Love, A.Colleen

Owen said...


Thanks for making me aware of the online TV, ha ha. I'll let you know if I break down and use it :).